I have just returned from a weekend at Heartwood ALC in Atlanta…I was able to visit their center all day Friday and attend a “Liberation and Education Summit” on Saturday, a day of facilitated discussion all about self-directed education (SDE) and social justice, marginalized groups, and SDE as a practice toward liberation. It was a wonderful visit, and I learned so much from the awesome facilitators and kids at Heartwood, as well as in the powerful discussions we had at the summit…and have returned inspired to try some new ideas here at Wildwood. I’d be happy to share more details with any of you if you’re interested, just let me know!
It was a short week due to the weather (we are thinking about how to make up the missed day…will be in touch soon about that), but we enjoyed the two days we had! We made more vitamin C gummies, dove into French, started a read-aloud of “A Wrinkle in Time”, played games like poker and Elementos, painted with “Natural Earth Paints” (made by Rebekah’s sister from clay/minerals), wrote shadow words with Annabelle, had lots of dance and play practice, practiced conflict resolution skills, played hide and seek in the woods, built with legos, made lots of friendship bracelets with Tess (who joined us Thursday while Thomas was out sick), had some dishwashing lessons, and made a stop motion computer animated film with Owen. During our Change-Up meeting we had group discussions and came up with new practices for technology use, adjusting pretend gun play to make sure everyone feels comfortable, and incorporating investigation of questions on our “Question Board” into our days.
I enjoyed the discussion about math with some parents who gathered last Wednesday! If you have an idea of a general topic of discussion you’d like to dive into or get support with, please let me know, and we’ll try and schedule the next optional parent discussion group soon!
Thanks to everyone who completed the doodle poll for the March community meeting! Unfortunately there was no time that every family is able to have one person attend, according to the responses. If possible, please take a moment to recheck the doodle poll to see if there are any additional times you could check as available for you (especially if your responses are very limited)…otherwise we may need to start over with a new poll for another week. Thank you!!
Have a wonderful week!
- We have two groups scheduled to take the “Facilitating Self-Directed Education” online class starting this week! One class is Tuesdays from 7-8pm, and the other is Wednesdays from 1-2pm (4 total classes, in February). It’s not too late to join either group if anyone would like to! Let me know if you do and I’ll send you the link.
- We have our 3 donated chromebooks/chromestick ready for use at Wildwood! It would still be very helpful to have 2-3 more chromebooks for use in end-of-week documenting and blogging (as well as our yearbook and other projects), so if anyone knows of someone who might like to donate any (or the cost of any) to Wildwood, please let us know!
- Please check the porch table each afternoon at pick-up to see if there are any loose items that belong to your child/family…thank you!
- We are so grateful to Mackenzie, our wonderful Tuesday volunteer! If you don’t know her, consider taking a moment to say hi at the end of the day on Tuesdays 🙂
- Chemistry with Michelle
- Visit to see possible new Wildwood location (Regeneration Church), around 3pm…if you would like to see it, please let Rebekah know asap (timing of visit may change)
- Writing Club with Mark
- Visitor who is planning to start an ALC in Greensboro (Sarah)
- Visitor who is considering starting an ALC in Wilkesboro (Melanie)
Tuesday, February 13:
- Celebrating Mardi Gras at Wildwood 🙂
Thursday, February 15:
- Celebrating Valentine’s Day (details TBA)
March 5-9 – Break
April 2-3 – Break
May 17 – Last day